On "Being Westernized"

I woke up at 4.30 today. (Since I slept at 8 last night...)
So, it's pretty awkward to start practicing piano at this hour.

I was brushing my teeth when I just recalled what happened last Monday.
I went to the mall in my neighborhood (believe me, some neighborhoods have more malls than Abilene does)
I just bought fro-yo when I overheard a conversation of 3 middle-aged people (by that, I mean ages when your kids are going to college..or perhaps a little bit older than that).

I can't stop but to be inquisitive about their conversation because one of the guy said, "Oh that kid has lived way too much in the States."

Well, I can't say that the kid this people were talking about changed in a good or not-so-good way.
I mean, maybe the kid really spent too much time partying with other crazy Indonesians over the West Coast. Who knows?

However, it left me a question over "being Westernized."


Here's my question: Why did those people talk about the kid being too Westernized?"
Doesn't it mean that they, in one way or another, disagree with whatever changes that kid brings to his/her own life and their lives?
But changes, changes are never comfortable...although they may bring good aftermaths. I don't know. The old education system has left people to be close-minded...for everyday, they were indoctrinated by their teachers, not being left any space to think whether their teachers were right or not.
Ah, but I guess the purpose of this post is not to judge all these old-timers.
All I want to write is an open question to the way people think here, in these islands.

Things I learned in the States: 

1. Words are simply a group of letters. If we don't look at the meanings behind the words, words are meaningless. Words often limit our grasp to the meaning of the words.

2. Don't judge people for you will be judged if you do so. Sometimes things happen not because somebody wants it to happen that way. Sometimes things happen because of the situation that person happens to be in.

3. Thank you, excuse me, and sorry are still the hardest words to be said. Even if they are not, they are merely words. People rarely mean it when they say these words.

4. Attitude. Be nice to people. Every person is equal. (Have we done that? I bet not.There are many people who don't even bother to say thanks to people who checked-out their items in supermarkets.) Appreciate people. Men are mortals after all.

5. Question everything. What I believe should be what I truly believe in. (Which, if we are really able to implement this idea in our lives, there will be less people who believe in religious hoaxes that their religion's elders told them. Just saying, our brains used 25% of our total calories consumption in a day. What's the point of letting that thing hanging on your neck to burn your calories if you don't even try to use it? )

6. Read. Spend time to read books.

7. It's okay to be different. Stop comparing yourself to others. (This includes being different in having certain kinds of hobbies and favorite genres of literature and movies. In other words, it's totally okay not following the strong stream of the mainstream.)

8. Your worth is not measured by your grade or wealth. Being wealthy or smart doesn't make people like you. Not being rich or smart doesn't make people like you either.

9. Honesty is the best policy. Passive-aggressive moves rarely solve any problems. Most people are not sensitive enough to understand things by being given passive-aggressive treatments.

10. Spend time to be with god on a daily basis. It may be hard at first but if we are truly His children, shouldn't we try to have a better relationship with Him? (tbh, I suck at this.)

I don't think any of these points are bad. I do think that a person who assimilates everything in the western culture is truly crazy. However, if those people who live across the ocean from us have good points, there's nothing wrong with assimilating these ideas into our daily lives. Perhaps, those people who think that being westernized is bad...haven't been just. Don't people who call themselves intellectuals have to be just in their mind too?

Seorang terpelajar harus juga belajar berlaku adil sudah sejak dalam pikiran, apalagi dalam perbuatan.
-Bumi Manusia, 77, Pramoedya Ananta Toer.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Meet The Author

Michelle Josephine Sulaiman
19, almost 20.
Stranded in Abilene, TX after a long flight from Jakarta, ID.
9723.78 miles.
Ad veritatem per caritatem '11.