By the end of January

Today, we had our first intramural basketball game.

Our dorm made an idea called Beyond 31. Basically, the idea was to be a woman who is even beyond Proverb 31.

Since middle school, I always wanna be in the basketball team.
But, it was not easy to decide to be in that basketball extracurricular.
When you know that you are better at something else (in my case, a performance ensemble), you tend to be in your comfort zone.
Basically, when you're good at something, you don't have to try really hard to be good. (duh)
When some others practiced quite often, I arrived late, and the instructor?
He liked me, no big deal.

My first year of high school, I was in a choir extracurricular.
It was fun, we won something, I didn't even remember what competition it was.

Then, my second year of high school, I befriended with amazing people.
Naba-me-Clara
And afterwards, since both of them are good in basketball, (yeah, what a cycle of friendship),
I joined that extracurricular.
My first time with the practice, my underclassman told me, "What...MJ, who played the piano, wanna play basketball?"
Obviously, she is better than me. (I don't have to mention her name, rite?)

So, I practiced. Not well, but twas fun, tons of tons of tons of fun.
Even, when it was raining.
Even though I had an English lesson afterwards.
Even though sometimes I couldn't go to the English lesson, since twas raining and there was flood in every of the possible way towards the English lesson building.
(Yes, there was one time, maybe several time, that this thing happened.)

Well, I won't forget to mention Mom and Dad disagreed over me doing sports. :/
Their reaction was like..."what if you hurt your fingers and can't play piano?"
(Well, in fact, my mom just told me the same thing several days ago when I told her that I'm going back to play bball.)

My piano teacher? Well, he was neutral. He didn't disagree nor agree.
(Considering the fact that he broke his finger several times when he was young from doing martial arts, I guess he shall not have something to say).

So yeah, I was never in a legit competitive team before.
There were spars in during time, but I had never been chosen to play with the school team, i.e varsity team-American's term.
I had the school's costume though.
Dunno why.

So, finally, in States, I played basketball in a competitive team, for the first time.

And y'kno what?
We lost 44-7.

I won't lie that I didn't cry (oh well, not in front of the other team, not in 100^100000000 times).

Well, since I didn't break my finger - I have to play in departmental recital tomorrow - twas good.

Nothing can beat a hot shower.

I still love basketball.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Meet The Author

Michelle Josephine Sulaiman
19, almost 20.
Stranded in Abilene, TX after a long flight from Jakarta, ID.
9723.78 miles.
Ad veritatem per caritatem '11.