the long boring crap you don't really wanna read about math and I

I like math.
Ever since my teacher taught me about this magical secret back in elementary school, I fell in love with it.
Well, I don't love it as much as I love music tho'...but really, I do love math.

Why did I wanna make this blog post?
...

Oh yes, I am taking pre-calculus this semester.
Not as fancy as calculus is...but it's still fun...
(and the pre-cal's homework is not as time consuming as the calculus' homework...or so I think, at least.)

Well, pre-cal is not super hard or anything.
It's just nostalgic.

There is no way I can stop smiling whenever my professor -he's a funny old guy, btw- showed us about trigonometry or logarithm stuffs.
For me, these bring out the memory of high school.
Logarithm...I did a lot of stuffs with'em...way...way...harder than the problems that the prof gave me.
Back in the first year of senior high, I really wanted to get into this 'science' class.
I knew at that time that I was going to take piano as my major...I was just...too proud to take 'social' class. So, I spent hours...and hours...going to math tutoring stuffs to make sure I'll get 70 or higher in my math class. Those are hours...I could have spent practicing piano. I don't really regret it tho'. It helps me a lot through college stuffs. I take less time to finish my homework...just because I'm kinda fluent with math...I guess.


Anyway, whenever he wrote logarithm stuffs on the board, my mind would wander to the good ole time.
My math teacher back in high school was old...kinda as old as my prof is.
She would sit on her throne, there, right next to the blackboard after explaining stuffs on the board.
She would help those smart kids with their math assignments...while my friends and I, obviously, didn't do our assignments...Instead, we would play UNO...well or capsa -kinda similar to poker, but not really-on the floor at the back of the classroom... Heck yeah, high school was fun. I still got 80s in her class...(hey 80s are good, y'kno, Asians don't normally have 100/100 in their high school report card, just sayin'.)

But yes, I couldn't stop smilin' whenever he explained about all these logarithmic stuffs.
It's just way too nostalgic.

Trigonometry?
It's even more nostalgic.

I even brought my own math notes from my high school era.
Yeah, I'm just too lazy to read Sullivan's Pre-Cal textbook- it looks like a huge King James Version Bible.

Trigonometry is nostalgic in the sense that I was so freakin' lazy during my second year of high school.
I was a hardworking student back in the first semester...but second semester? PFFFFT. I threw all of these away for piano. I don't regret it at all. I still understand about Indonesian-level science high school stuffs- which includes relativism in Physics, organic chem, craps (oh yes, I don't understand biology) in Bio and integral/differential in Math.
It's kinda similar to freshman's science classes: general chemistry/calculus 1...and co.

Back to trigonometry. Yeah, I was so lazy that I just -most of the time- copied my friends' homework before the school started...and memorized the patterns before the test started. I meant...life was so good back in high school! I didn't have to do my homework and I was still happy with my test results. Now, I have to do all my homework by myself. Life sucks.

Second year of high school; Twas kinda full of drama, but it was actually awesome. I met my best buddies...right after half of my class started talking back to me. No complaint tho'. I just have limited ability to understand people's feelings...and I'm super sarcastic...esp. when I'm annoyed...so, yeah, things happened.

But lots of good stuffs happened during that year: the boys playing baseball with paper-ball in the class, for example...or me sleeping in the class during religion and civic classes.

Senior year was the bomb. I didn't care about my grades. I went to school, mostly sleep-deprived from staying up late practicing piano (and browsing internet, of course.) I would just sleep in certain classes- civic, religion, English. I would just go straight to the mall, hanging out with my buddies, right after school...til 5-ish and went home with my mom. I would just wait for her in her office...and sleep in the car...got back home and practice. In the class, when it was boring, I would just take out my piano score and study the score while the teacher talked some random stuffs in front of the class. I would just sleep during religion class...heck yeah, because I dislike the teacher.

I wish I were in high school. Life was easier. There was no dramatic death. There was no need for me to maintain my GPA. Copying friend's homework is legal -not really, but all your teachers know that you copied your friends', d'oh. I have sufficient money to be spent anytime I want to- I worked back in my second-third year of high school. I had best buddies that were not occupied with their boyfriends.

Math. I wish I could take calculus, just for fun, just for recalling good ole moments of high school. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Meet The Author

Michelle Josephine Sulaiman
19, almost 20.
Stranded in Abilene, TX after a long flight from Jakarta, ID.
9723.78 miles.
Ad veritatem per caritatem '11.