Living in a Dorm

Living in a dorm may be a blessing to certain people...and a curse to certain people.

For me, living in a dorm is both blessing and curse.
I love people; I enjoy talking with people, being nosy about people's things, saying hi to people, doing nice things to people, and making people mad. So, living in dorm brings me joy...and -this comes later at night- a disappointment of myself.

I enjoy socializing with people too much that I do not even do my homework, nor practicing, nor taking care of myself properly.

Oh well, what do you expect when people jumped into your room holding pillows and turning your roommate's TV on? (Yes, my roommate got a TV in our room, I don't mind, it brings joy!) Or...what do you expect when your neighbors look freaking sad? I cannot say no... I cannot say no too...when there is some kind of party environment...which happens like...almost every night...

Actually, living in dorm is an amazing blessing. You know people a lot. You are able to learn their cultures, thoughts, fashion styles, lives...experiences.As my hall is somewhat an international dorm with three cute Asian girls (and an African girl who sadly moved to another dorm), you gotta imagine how things are exciting to my American friends and to us, Asians.

They are shocked that we don't shave our body hairs...on our legs...while we are shocked that they have to do it like...twice a week!

My Korean friend was so shocked when she knew that my Caucasian friend has black armpit hair while their actual hair is blond. (Yes Asians out there who do not know this fact...this is true!)

I am shocked to know that pads are not as expensive as I thought. Yes, this is silly. It is like...not all Americans use tampons...some also use pads. Thus...the rumor that pads are more expensive in States compared to back home...is not true guys. (Read that Naba!)

It is quite shocking that there are only two persons in my cornerstone class that are able to speak in two languages or more...it is me and another girl; Hey Americans, learn another language besides Spanish okay? What if you go to Africa and no one speaks English? Things happened...well...what if you are on a trip to Africa with a caviar...and your caviar...sinks...and you arrive in Madagascar...where people speak FRENCH?!

It is also funny to know that...there are special classes in some American public schools for pregnant girls. Yeah, they are not expelled like how things work back home in Indonesia...they even have special classes (well that is if they do not dismiss themselves from school out of embarrassment)

...and my American friends...are always so freaking shocked when I say...I can have alcohol back home when I was 16...(oh yeah, law in Indonesia is not enforced...) or I never watch Pocahontas...or couple Disney movies.

There are many things...that one will figure out by living in a dorm. Well, just saying!

ps. living in a dorm sometimes mean you talk about certain things...trying to improve your accent until 2:30 a.m and then a girl comes into your friend's room yelling about how noisy you are.
Yes, things happenned.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Meet The Author

Michelle Josephine Sulaiman
19, almost 20.
Stranded in Abilene, TX after a long flight from Jakarta, ID.
9723.78 miles.
Ad veritatem per caritatem '11.